Home Forums After Hours TV worth watching Favorite Five TV shows EVER Reply To: Favorite Five TV shows EVER

What a great list! ER; JAG; Star Trek, The Next Generation; The X-Files, until it started to get ridiculous in the last few seasons, would top my list of shows that I watched on a regular basis. And Yes! for Law and Order: Criminal Intent with Vincent D’Onofrio; it deserved a longer run, imo.

My list of fav T.V. shows is going to be current, though, so I hope nobody minds. And I have six.

Murdoch Mysteries…a Canadian show about a turn of the 20th century CSI-type detective, starring the ever-lovable Yannick Bisson as Detective Murdoch; the hilarious Jonny Harris as his side-kick, Constable Craptree; the devilish, cynical, and skeptical Inspector Brackenreid played brilliantly by UK actor Thomas Craig. And Hélène Joy, who kicks butt as Dr. Julia Ogden, the coroner! I’ve never missed an episode in 9 seasons–live, not recorded! That’s how much a fan I am.

Now, in no particular order…

Anything Master Piece that airs on PBS…Master Piece Classic/Drama/Mystery.

Happy Valley–A British crime show, with a fabulous cast: Sarah Lancashire (Last Tango in Halifax); James Norton (Grantchester); and Siobhan Finneran (the Machiavellian ladies’ maid O’Brien from Downton Abbey.) Currently on Netflix.

Miss Fisher Mysteries–I cant say enough about this Australian show! The casting, the writing, the 1920s customs…it’s all brilliant! I have all 3 seasons on DVD, though Season 1 & 2 are currently on Netflix.

Black Sails…I love me some pirates! It’s “an American dramatic adventure television series set on New Providence Island and a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Treasure Island.” (Quote taken from Wikipedia.) Yeh, it’s based on fiction, but the show incorporates “real-life” persons/pirates, which brings a certain amount of authenticity to the show. And who can say no to watching Toby Stephens? (plus he’s Dame Maggie Smith’s son!) And I’ll be totally shallow here, but Zach McGowan is to die for, playing the part of real-life pirate Captain Charles Vane.

Versailles…intrigue at the court of Louis XIV. While the acting/customs are wonderful, I am not sure how historically accurate the show is. But I prefer this show to Outlander, in which I find the acting stagnant, static (except from some secondary characters). I know, <gasp>!!

And for anyone interested in British shows, check out Acorn TV–it’s cheap at $4.99/month, and offers some brilliant, though not current, series like Foyle’s War, Cadfael, and Queer as Folk, just to name a few.