Home Forums Romance Potpourri Forum Sweet 16 Reading Challenge Reply To: Sweet 16 Reading Challenge

library addict

The 21st Century Challenge
Read 16 books, one per year published in 2001, 2002 through 2016
2014 = House of Payne: Payne by Stacy Gail (published August 2014):
The hero described himself as a selfish bastard at the beginning of the book and then did everything he could to prove it. He was spoiled, always got what he wanted, and had treated women as if they were disposable. My tolerance level for such jerk heroes has declined greatly since I first began to read romance. It seemed unrealistic given his secret about the heroine that he didn’t know the full truth (being vague to avoid spoilers). While I did not like the hero, I kept reading for the heroine. She was a 3D artist who felt responsible for her younger brother’s death, an accident her parents also blamed her for. She totally made the book for me. The romance mostly worked, but sadly the hero did zero groveling (which he really needed to do) and he never lost his since of entitlement.

2015 = How to Seduce a Cavanaugh by Marie Ferrarella (published July 2015): The heroine was a robbery detective assigned to a new partner. The hero felt he worked better alone. The heroine’s insistence on having her younger sister dig into the hero’s past after less than a day of knowing him came off as stalkerish. While much of the h/h’s banter ran in circles, there were some amusing moments. The book definitely picked up in the second half. Thankfully though things started off very rushed, the romance was slow to develop. The answer to the mystery of the robbery spree seemed obvious from early on. The heroine’s reaction to the thief’s motives seemed too exaggerated. I liked the h/h as a couple, but ultimately it was the hero who made the book an entertaining read. I still have to shake my head at all the married partners now on this particular police force.

• The 21st Century Challenge: 15 down, 1 to go…
  • Sweet Sixteen Challenge: 11 down, 5 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 13 down, 3 to go …
  • The Rat Race Challenge: 9 down, 7 to go…
  • Simply Sixteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 5 down, 11 to go…