Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum Books like She Loves Me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’ve been watching the stream of the Broadway show She Loves Me and I really think I would enjoy a book with this premise. Coworkers who hate each other but are secretly pen pals. I prefer historicals but will read anything.

Any suggestions for me?

Sonya Heaney

So, they hate each other and don’t realise they’re pen pals?

Lisa Kleypas’ Love in the Afternoon has the heroine writing to the hero while he is at war, but he thinks she is someone else. He doesn’t want anything to do with her when they are face to face.

I know there’re others, but I cannot think of them now!

Sandlynn

I don’t know that I’ve read a romance with exactly that premise, although I could have forgotten one or two. However, I do recall a couple of books that are similar in theme. In both cases the hero and heroine’s initial contact is through writing, either e-mail or actual letters.

In “More Than Love Letters” by Rosy Thornton, which is a contemporary story set in the U.K., our heroine is both a primary school teacher and a very concerned citizen who is always writing to her Member of Parliament. He finds her constant letters annoying and thinks of her as a pest, but ultimately the M.P. and his constituent meet and find each to be not what the other expected.

In “Attachments” by Rainbow Rowell, our hero is an IT person at a company whose job it is to monitor employee emails to make sure they’re not breaking company policy. He doesn’t care for the job at all, but through his “snooping” ends up growing increasingly interested in one young woman who we learn about through her emails to her co-worker/friend. The two friends are constantly breaking company rules with their personal emails, but he’s too entranced to do anything about it. In fact, he finally sets out to meet her without her knowing what he does.

MMcA

Courtney Milan’s new book ‘Hold Me’ seems to be along those lines – out in September, maybe.

“Maria has always been cautious. Now that her once-tiny, apocalypse-centered blog is hitting the mainstream, she’s even more careful about preserving her online anonymity. She hasn’t sent so much as a picture to the commenter she’s interacted with for eighteen months—not even after emails, hour-long chats, and a friendship that is slowly turning into more. Maybe one day, they’ll meet and see what happens.

But unbeknownst to them both, Jay is Maria’s commenter. They’ve already met. They already hate each other. And two determined enemies are about to discover that they’ve been secretly falling in love…”

e. b. wittmann
    Participant

Angelique –

I can’t recommend a full length historical novel with this premise – but the anthology At the Duke’s Wedding includes a delightful novella called P.S. I Love You by Miranda Neville with a similar premise. Other authors featured include Katharine Ashe, Caroline Linden and Maya Rodale – I like all of these authors, but Ms. Neville’s story might be my favorite. Here’s a link to Ms. Neville’s website with a blurb: . I know the anthology was reviewed by Caz Owens I think she gave it a B+) – I’d give it the same! I’ll ask her to link to her review for you!

Happy reading!

e. b. wittmann
    Participant

Angelique:
    Not sure what happened to my link to Ms. Neville’s page – here it is: http://www.mirandaneville.com/at-the-dukes-wedding/
    Emily

Blackjack

MMcA…”Courtney Milan’s new book ‘Hold Me’ seems to be along those lines – out in September, maybe.”

That’s wonderful and thanks for posting this!

Angelique

Thanks everyone. I will look these books up!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Books like She Loves Me
Your information: