Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Audio version better than print Reply To: Audio version better than print

Caz Owens
Keymaster

Rosalyn Landor is the doyenne of historical romance audio, IMO – Kate Reading is fabulous also, but their styles are different and Ms. Reading is not as prolific.

RL has been recording romance for a long time – more than 20 years I’d say – and her style has changed over the years. My first recording of hers was Lisa Kleypas’ Devil in Winter – and it was also one of the first HR audios I ever listened to, so I have a real soft spot for it. I believe, however, that she’s about to re-record it; the Hathaways and Wallflower series are being re-released in audio format and are at long last available in the UK, and RL told me she had actually been asked to re-record them, so they’re not just re-issues, they’re brand new recordings, and I’m eager to see what she does with my old favourite! But I think she did some of her best work on the Brothers Sinister series. A Kiss for Midwinter is one of my favourites, and it’s a novella so it’s not very long, but that entire series is excellent. And as I’ve said above, there’s the whole Bridgerton series, lots of Mary Balogh and plenty of other things to choose from.

As for m/m – it’s a tough choice! Matthew Lloyd Davies/Cornell Collins does excellent work in KJ Charles’ audiobooks, if you’re looking for m/m historicals, and Joanna Chambers’ Enlightenment series is great in audio, too. Gary Furlong and Joel Leslie give terrific performances of Cat Sebastian’s books. For contemporaries, I’d recommend Annabeth Albert’s Out of Uniform series (it has different narrators, including Greg Boudreaux and J.F Harding) and her Frozen Hearts series, Joel Leslie is absolutely amazing in Alexis Hall’s How to Bang a Billionaire, N.R Walker’s Thomas Elkin trilogy is one of my all time favourites, Alexis Hall’s Pansies and Boyfriend Material, Hailey Turner’s Metahumans series, if you enjoy futuristic/military-style adventure yarns… Gregory Ashe’s Borealis Investigations … but when all’s said and done, you can’t go wrong with one of the quintessential m/m series – Josh Lanyon’s Adrien English (5 books) series is superb and the narrator is fantastic. There are so many different styles and sub-genres to choose from – feel free to hit me up if you want some more specific recommendations! My email address is around here in the AAR info somewhere.