Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Diversity in HR Reply To: Diversity in HR

chrisreader

I was thinking more of Carrie’s quote about people not accepting in novels there were people from India present at society events rather than the Bridgerton TV adaption (which is its own thing entirely).

I think there are a lot of people in general who comment negatively on things in historical novels or romances they they just think is anachronistic because they haven’t heard of it, but don’t take five minutes to google before complaining about it. I’ve heard it about everything from people’s names to haircuts to clothing let alone ethnicities of people.

I think people have set ideas of eras like “all Victorians did this” or “everyone in the 1950’s did this”. I know Happy Days used to annoy my mother when I was a kid because she would catch part of it and say “You know we weren’t’ all running around in poodle skirts ” and “I didn’t know anyone who did that”. We often have a kind of caricature idea of what certain times were like.

One of the reasons I enjoyed Mad Men so much is because of how they showed the slower way people’s lives change over time. We don’t throw out our house full of furniture every year, discard our clothes for new styles every season or wear every new hair style as it comes along. They even researched the different ways women applied lipstick from the 40’s vs 50’s and 60’s so the older women would make their lips a slightly different shape when they wore it on the show. I love those kinds of obsessive details.

My quibble with Bridgerton, as others have noted, is that they didn’t do a good job with the backstory. They gave a quick mention to how things were integrated that wasn’t well thought out and didn’t make sense time wise. They should have either not addressed it directly or handled it more thoughtfully and thoroughly. Because of the artistic liberties they took across the board and its kind of fantastical nature of music and clothing and settings it’s clear they weren’t trying to make a 100% accurate version of Regency England unlike the BBC production of Sandition which used very correct clothing, no visible makeup and appropriate settings so they didn’t even have to speak about it. I hope that in season two they will present it more coherently if it’s addressed.

(Disclaimer: I did not end up watching Sandition despite being excited for it, as I found out from British reviews that it ended on a kind of a cliffhanger because they wanted a second season which was not picked up. So there would be no resolution. I knew it would just bother me to watch an unfinished project of an unfinished novel!)