Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Diversity in HR Reply To: Diversity in HR

Nan De Plume

“Conversely, I’ve read author’s notes which say “I know this could not have happened but…” which really annoy me, because it’s like they’re saying “I know I got this wrong, but hey, at least I’ve owned up, so now you can’t complain about it!”

Um. Yes I can.”

Ha ha! I’ve read those kinds of notes too. Although, thankfully, the one’s I’ve read haven’t been too outlandish. I remember one, for example, that explained the author’s decision to use the word “badminton” rather than “shuttledore” (or whatever it was called). But I thought at the time, “If you were worried about readers being confused, couldn’t you have put a note in the front saying, ‘In X year, badminton was called _____, which is the word used in the text’?” Then there are some notes declaring that the author fudged anachronistic stuff by a year or two. Again, I would prefer the author to express frustration at not being able to use X fashion or Y activity because it was a year off rather than saying, “Eh, close enough.” But at least when they fess up to something that was wrong, I know it was because the author made a conscious decision to run roughshod over history rather than making a blunder.

So yes, we can still complain. But now instead of complaining about ignorance, we can complain about the author throwing history to the wind in favor of playing pretend. :-)