Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Books Unlikely to Published Today: A Good or Bad Thing? Reply To: Books Unlikely to Published Today: A Good or Bad Thing?

Carrie G
Participant

I think we’ve moved on, too, at least for mainstream publishing. I know there are niche markets for content that some people feel problematic, but most readers today aren’t interested in forced seduction situations, or even verbally or emotionally abusive characters. At the same time, if someone wants to write that, then fine. No one has to read it. If someone does choose to read it, and they are shocked by the content, I think it’s fine to write a “I was shocked by the content, so FYI, here’s a warning” review. What I don’t think is appropriate is a “this author is an awful person who shouldn’t be allowed to write” review. The unfortunate truth is, however, that people these days love to be outraged and have social media to vent on. It’s like their 15 min of fame! “Look at me! I’m spouting an opinion!” I deal with it at home, as I have daughters (sexual assault victims) who go pretty ballistic at any dubious consent themes. Understandable though it is, it’s exhausting. (Although I admit when it’s real life situations ::cough::Brock Turner::cough:: I go pretty ballistic, myself.)

As far as rewriting problematic themes/scenes in older books, I don’t have a problem with that if authors want to do it. I don’t think they should be forced to.