Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Books Unlikely to Published Today: A Good or Bad Thing? Reply To: Books Unlikely to Published Today: A Good or Bad Thing?

chrisreader
Participant

Absolutely, I’d say all of online combined is at best a niche, or small percentage of romance readers. I’d guess the huge percentage of readers are still the people picking up a novel at Walmart, Sam’s Club, Costco or a drugstore/bookstore/supermarket.

Those of us who read compulsively and analyze themes and messages in the novels can complain about wanting less Dukes or more average people but the bottom line is a lot of readers clearly want Dukes and Earls and castles and the publishers are going to push what makes money.

They probably don’t even know what RWA is, couldn’t care less about it or the people involved and just want to grab some escapist reading with a nice cover and some fun sexy stuff. And more power to them. We all have our “things” maybe theirs is gardening or volunteering or venture capital.

I’d say our group is like professional film critics compared to voters in the People’s Choice awards.