Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler)
Trapped on Talonque by Veronica Scott:
This was another entry in the authors’ Sectors series which was set mainly on a far off planet rather than in space. The hero and his team had crash landed and were taken prisoner. The heroine had been kept in a healing chamber for thousands of years and was treated as a goddess by the planet’s people. They managed to connect telepathically. There was an element of insta-love, but it worked well for the story. I liked that the hero’s bff was hesitant to believe the hero’s account about conversing with the heroine at first. As with others in the series, the book read like an old Saturday matinee with the intrepid group of good guys getting into one scrape after another. I enjoyed the romance, though it often took a backseat to the action/adventure elements. I hope the hero’s bff eventually gets his own story. Another nice entry for the series.

Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge
Southern Living – Read a romance set in “the South,” whether the Southern U.S. or the Southern half of the planet, such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina, etc.
The Girl in the Steel-Capped Boots by Loretta Hill – set in Australia:
The heroine was fresh out of university and adjusting to working as an engineer in a male-dominated field. The characters all tended to jump to conclusions and there were numerous misunderstandings and overreactions, but thankfully they were usually quickly cleared up by actual conversations. The emphasis was mainly on the workplace drama and the heroine’s relationships with her various co-workers, but even though it wasn’t the focus I enjoyed the romance between the h/h. There was plenty of humor and a nice secondary romance as well. I had a few quibbles, but overall a very enjoyable read.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 10 down, 7 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 10 down, 7 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 4 down, 13 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!