Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Breakfast Cereal Challenge
Wheaties (1924) = “The Breakfast of Champions.” This cereal features athletes on the box. Read a romance in which the hero or heroine is involved with sports, e.g. athlete, coach, team owner, etc.
Crossing Hearts by Rebecca Crowley – hero is a professional soccer player:
The hero had just moved from Chile and spoke no English. The heroine was his interpreter. There was a major subplot dealing with immigration parts of which threw me out of the book because it was so obviously written before the current administration took office. The h/h were both attracted to the other but strived to keep their relationship purely professional to start. This led to a lot of conversations where they were at cross-purposes. At thirty, the heroine wanted a serious relationship. The hero was four years younger and an international sports star, but had a difficult time proving his sincerity to the heroine. Ultimately there were several subplots which were not fully explored (trying not to be spoilerish). I enjoyed the romance for the most part, but overall an uneven read.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
I = Ignite by Nicole Helm:
The doctor heroine suspected the smokejumper hero was the brother of her bff. Her plan to get him to admit it went awry when she fell for him. They were each working to overcome the scars from their childhoods. Despite their baggage they had fun together, a novel experience for each of them. The set up for the plot was a challenge to get past, but the author managed. The heroine was the sister of the hero from an earlier book and I am still vexed that their eldest brother’s marriage issues—which were a major subplot in the earlier book—were not addressed. Both books were part of different multi-author series, but I do not see where the other brother had his own story. The angst in this book was well-balanced with humor. Overall an enjoyable romance.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 14 down, 3 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 10 down, 7 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 13 down, 4 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 4 down, 13 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!