Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

Sandlynn
Participant

Returning to the Alphabet Challenge

I have a lot of Julia Quinn novels in my TBR pile. So, since I had already read the first in her Bridgerton series, I decided to tackle her second of the series, The Viscount Who Loved Me, published in 2000, covering the “Q” for Quinn.

I read the first book about four years ago, and I really don’t remember much about it. I gave it a “B” at the time. This second book I think I would give a “B” as well.

Many of you have already read this book, so I don’t think I need to describe it in too much detail. It focuses on the oldest son of the Bridgerton family who decides it’s time to marry, but has a weird reason for doing so. Anthony Bridgerton, the oldest of eight children, lost his father when the man was in his late 30’s. His uncle died fairly young as well. So, Anthony has this fatalistic belief that he, too, will die early. However, he would like to leave behind an heir. He just doesn’t want to be in love or leave behind a loving, heartbroken, grieving widow. Therefore, Anthony decides to pursue the most desirable young woman of the London season — Edwina Sheffield. She’s beautiful. She’s kind. But, he feels no special spark. His major obstacle, however, is Edwina’s older sister, Kate, who believes Anthony to be an unrepentant rake. She will not allow her beloved sister to accept Anthony’s suit and crosses swords with him at every opportunity. Anthony may not feel sparks with the younger sister, but with Kate he does and she certainly seems to feel something for him. Is he pursuing the right woman? Or would Kate be the wrong woman, since he definitely could feel himself falling in love….

This was another enjoyable story in this series with two attractive leads. The only problem I had with the story was with Anthony’s reasonings. He recognizes his duty and his mother’s interest in seeing him happily wed, but he certainly doesn’t *have* to get married and procreate for his family’s title to remain in the family. He has three brothers, all of whom are decent human beings. Does he believe that this same fate will befall his brothers? He never mentions this in his thoughts or talks to anyone about these beliefs. Furthermore, what about his poor, hypothetical wife? He may not be seeking love, but if his wife loves him, she would surely be devastated if he died so soon. I don’t know. It just seemed to me that this guy just needed to visit a 19th century psychologist or maybe a grief counselor to deal with his demons and then he could happily pursue the woman of his heart. And, this doesn’t even address our heroine, who has her own demons and should just jump on the shrink’s couch with our hero! (Did I say that! ;-) )

The Cocktail Challenge – 7 down, 3 to go.

Alphabet Challenge – 7 down, 3 to go. (B, C, G, H, J, M, & Q)