Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler)
Love on Tap by Meg Benjamin:
The heroine had run a brewery until her ex-boyfriend skipped town leaving their business in the financial lurch. The hero owned a gastropub and wanted to buy her last barrel of a specialty beer. They made a deal where he’d help her get the ingredients to restart the brewery since none of the local suppliers would sell to her any longer. The deal led to the hero completing a series of unexpected tasks for the various suppliers which led to several humorous situations. The heroine was reluctant to get involved with another out-of-towner. The hero was a nice guy who fell hard for the heroine. She had made mistakes not dealing with the fallout from the collapsed business. There was a lot of emphasis on her repairing those relationships. The heroine’s brother irked me. He had a lot of page time, which I hope to see reciprocated in his book, but doubt will happen. There was a lot of information on how to make beer which didn’t interest me, but overall a very enjoyable read.

Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge
Field and Stream – Read a romance set on a farm, a ranch, or a working estate. Or, read a romance about an outdoorsman/woman.
Falling for the Rebound Bride by Karen Templeton – set on a ranch:
The hero was back in town after years away. The heroine was there after calling off her engagement. We were repeatedly told how she wasn’t playing the victim card (she’d discovered her fiancé had been cheating), but it certainly did not feel that way in her internal monologues. They were attracted to one another, but neither wanted to be. Things went in circles for most of the book. There was a clear “small town is better than big city” message and the hero’s meddling relatives’ behavior was annoying. The subplot about the heroine’s mother was surprisingly the best part of the book. I didn’t dislike the h/h, but the story felt very generic and the romance didn’t really work for me. A disappointing read.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 14 down, 3 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 11 down, 6 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 13 down, 4 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 5 down, 12 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!