Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler)
Star Survivor by Veronica Scott:
At the end of the first book in this series, this secondary couple seemed to be solidly together. The heroine thought so as well, but the hero had disappeared with no goodbye five years before the start of this story. The truth about why he’d left wasn’t revealed until late in the book, but both the timing of the reveal and his reasons made sense for the plot. It was nice to see the main couple from the first book again. There were a few twists, but no major surprises. The h/h had both matured in the period between books, but retained their chemistry. Their backstories were well-balanced. Overall, an enjoyable reunion romance.

Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge
Mother Jones/The Weekly Standard – In homage to journals reflecting two sides of the U.S. political spectrum, read a romance in which the hero and heroine are on two sides of an issue whether political, business, environmental, social, or cultural and butt heads over it. Or, read a romance in which the hero and/or heroine are in politics.
All’s Fair in Love and Politics by Nicole Helm – heroine is running for the state senate:
This was actually the first book the author published and was meant to be the first in a series. It has been sitting in my TBR pile since shortly after I discovered her (just over three years ago) as I was waiting to see if the other books would be released. The reporter hero was using the heroine to get to her father. Multiple times he ignored what she said which was passed off as “she doesn’t know what she really wants,” but it was a bothersome pattern of behavior. When he said his career was more important than her being able to keep any part of her life private, she agreed with him (I need a rolling eyes smilie). She felt guilty that her father had gotten him fired, but really? Thankfully the book—and his behavior—improved in the second half. The h/h were both wishy-washy at times, but I ended up liking them. The heroine’s father was one-dimensional, but at least there was some resolution to the subplot involving him. I really enjoyed the glimpses we had of the hero’s family. It’s a shame the author never wrote his sisters’ stories.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 12 down, 5 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 13 down, 4 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 7 down, 10 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!