Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
G = The Bonus Mom by Jennifer Greene:
This author has been an autobuy for me since I discovered her back in 1991. She hasn’t published anything new for years, so I’d put off reading her last two “new” full-length books as didn’t want to be done reading her. I read the middle book of this trilogy back in February, so this was the only one left. I wish I would have enjoyed this last book more. The hero’s eleven-year-old twins were extremely self-aware for their age which did not always ring true. There was the usual dose of humor and parts of the romance were fine on the surface. But I had major issues with the way the hero’s deceased wife was portrayed. Not trying to be spoilerish, but the whole “she loved named brand goods and the ballet and opera while the heroine liked making homemade ornaments, didn’t wear makeup, and didn’t shop at expensive stores so she was naturally a better woman” on top of the hero being completely clueless about how his wife had actually treated their daughters made me want to throw the book at the wall (which I resisted since I was reading the digital version). The whole not-like-other-girls vibe and a huge continuity error tarnished the story too much for me. A very disappointing read.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 12 down, 5 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 14 down, 3 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 7 down, 10 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!