Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Breakfast Cereal Challenge
Chex (1937) = Chex mix is a popular holiday treat. Read a romance set during Christmas time or any other holiday.
True-Blue Cowboy Christmas by Nicole Helm – set at Christmas:
The hero was a snarly jerk to the heroine at the start of the story, but he apologized for it without prompting. I liked the relationship he had with his father. His reasons for wanting to protect his daughter were understandable. I liked the fact he’d been through professional grief counseling and considered going back. The romance started slowly and the h/h took time to get to know each other. They each had issues they needed to work through and they did so both independently and together. Their individual family dynamics also played an integral part of the plot as did the heroine’s relationship with the hero’s daughter. As much as I came to like the hero, the heroine was the one who made the book. There were some OTT plot shenanigans toward the end. They were addressed, but still seemed a bit out of place given the way past events were described in the first two books. Overall a very entertaining read with a dash of humor.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
J = Always Faithful by Julie Miller:
The heroine’s husband had disappeared five years prior to the start of the story. The hero had been erroneously snatched by an inexperienced angel and then sent back in the wrong body (not as a spoiler as it’s in the blurb). Of course he had amnesia or it would have been a very short story. The beginning of the book was slow. The lackadaisical attitude the heroine and her husband’s friends had in the second half rang totally untrue for me (trying not to be too spoilery, but it was just such lazy storytelling, made zero sense from a character standpoint, and threw me completely out of the book more than once.) It was finally addressed, but a case of “too little, too late.” I liked the hero and the heroine’s daughter. I was rooting for the h/h’s HEA, but the resolution to the plot didn’t work for me on several levels. The book had an interesting premise and had some nice moments, but overall it was poorly executed and a very disappointing read.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 12 down, 5 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 7 down, 10 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!