Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler)
Danger in the Stars by Veronica Scott:
As with her sister from an earlier book in the series, the heroine had been kidnapped from her home planet years earlier and sold to an organized crime syndicate. The hero was an enforcer and the second-in-command to the ruthless woman in charge of the planet’s crime syndicate, but he was hiding secrets of his own. They were attracted to one another from the moment they met, but took time to act on it. I appreciated that the hero was unwilling to pursue a relationship while she was a prisoner and that the issue of consent was fully addressed. The big secret seemed obvious from the start, but there were a few twists to the story. The romance was well-integrated into the plot. Overall another enjoyable entry in the Sectors series.

Stone Cold Texas Ranger by Nicole Helm: The heroine’s secret nickname for the hero in the start was “Agent Jerk” which totally fit his character. The h/h both too often did things which lacked common sense solely for plot purposes. The mystery was too much in the background. I tried to suspend my disbelief, but it seemed implausible for the villain to be prosecuted in court given the way the investigation was handled. Most of the developments took place off page which made for a very disjointed story. The hero thought a lot about his sister and father and I wished they’d appeared on page. The romance was very paint-by-numbers. Overall a disappointing read.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 12 down, 5 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 6 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 9 down, 8 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!