Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler)
Risking It All by Tessa Bailey:
The heroine had quit her job as a nurse, graduated from the police academy, and gone undercover in an unauthorized op to avenge her brother’s murder. The hero was reluctantly running his father’s crime organization. He wanted out of the life, but was at a loss as to how to get away. He was blackmailed by the police into keeping the heroine safe, but couldn’t tell her he knew who she really was. His reasons for going along with the secret did not work for me. Meanwhile the heroine decided she would try to save the hero, partly because she needed to justify her feelings to herself. Much of the plot made little sense other than to force the h/h to spend a lot of time together. The big twist seemed obvious from the start. The hero was in serious need of professional counseling and the heroine’s naiveté was a bit much. There were a lot of highs, lows, and self-inflicted angst and the hero needed to grovel more at the end. An uneven read, but despite many issues the romance overall somehow worked for me. After so much subterfuge, the circumstances of their HEA worked for the characters.

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – novellas
Finding His Mark by Piper J Drake:
The heroine was an assassin hired by the hero to discover who was targeting his boss. They’d been attracted to one another in the past but had never acted upon it. The touristy information did not overwhelm the story, but there was enough make me want to visit Thailand. The suspense plot was intriguing. The h/h had nice chemistry, but I wished the story had been longer to better explore their romance. I also wanted more with the heroine’s dog. I had some quibbles with the hero’s boss, but overall an enjoyable read.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 12 down, 5 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 12 down, 5 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 10 down, 7 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!