Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler)
Kissing Her Enemy by Coleen Kwan:
The hero wanted to purchase the heroine’s hardware store, and the businesses around it, to tear down the buildings and build a mega home improvement store. The heroine did not want to sell as she needed her store to support her mother. Their strained relationships with their parents were a major subplot. The hero had his own set of issues, but his belief the heroine could simply open a new type of store was dismissive. The heroine had grown up on the proverbial wrong side of the tracks and didn’t have the political connections in town the hero did. There was also some history between the h/h from high school which the hero needed to apologize for (and it irked me that when he finally did, the heroine suddenly thought her behavior at the time was wrong, sheesh! No, his was.). I had a few other quibbles, but don’t want to get into spoilers. An uneven read, but I mostly enjoyed their romance. There was a lot of humor, the h/h had good chemistry and overall I liked them as a couple. Though I had some issues with the hero, the heroine made the story for me.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
N = Need You Now by Nicole Helm:
The h/h started off on the wrong foot, a situation which was perpetuated by the hero’s boorish behavior and the heroine’s preconceptions. They each took their responsibilities very seriously and had reasons to not want to get involved, so their relationship took time to develop. I appreciated that the boss-employee situation was addressed multiple times. There was quite a bit of set up for future books, but thankfully it didn’t overwhelm the romance. I liked the h/h both individually and as a couple. I had some major issues toward the end, but most were addressed. Overall a very enjoyable read with a good balance of angst and humor.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 13 down, 4 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 12 down, 5 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 12 down, 5 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!