Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler)
Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook:
I wanted to like this book more than I ultimately did. I was surprised by the big event near the beginning (trying to avoid spoilers), but the book then skimmed the surface of the characters’ reactions and did not really deal with the fallout. This was very much an adventure story, but it felt like some of the transitions were missing. It was nice to see the h/h from the introductory novella. I liked the romance and the “mystery” took some unexpected turns, but the ending felt extremely anticlimactic. I wish more page time had been spent on certain events and less on so many zombie fights. Overall an uneven read.

Secret Affair with the Millionaire by Coleen Kwan: The heroine was considered the black sheep in her family, but trying to turn over a new leaf by finally taking her position in the family company seriously. Matters were complicated when she discovered the man she’d shared a one-night stand with a few weeks prior to the start of the story was a business competitor and that their fathers were sworn enemies. They each had complicated family situations. The hero owned his own business in Texas, but was back in San Francisco to make amends with his dying father. The hero’s brother was a complete jerk and their fathers took their “feud” all too seriously, but for the most part the h/h didn’t allow it to affect their relationship. Their questioning one another’s motives often seemed forced as did the big argument between them toward the end, but those were minor quibbles. Overall an enjoyable romance and a nice conclusion to the Rochester series.

• The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: 14 down, 3 to go …
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • The Cocktail Challenge: 16 down, 1 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 12 down, 5 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): 16 down, 1 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!