Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

Maggie Boyd
Keymaster

Bladder Nut Tree – Read a humorous romance.
I’ve Got Your Number Sophie Kinsella

Humor is a funny thing – what has one person ROFL can leave another watching them as though they need professional help. So, if this worked for you, great. Did not for me.

I picked this up after finishing Jenny Colgan’s Little Beach Street Bakery because I thought following one light, cheery Brit Chick Lit/Women’s fiction book would be a perfect way to extend my bliss after how much fun I had with that one. I was wrong. I think Poppy Wyatt expresses the problem best when she says of herself “I think I must be really, really thick.” Why, yes, Poppy, you are.

Poppy Wyatt loses her engagement ring while at a hotel. It’s a family heirloom so this is a big deal. Then while she’s standing outside trying to resolve the issue her phone is snatched. No! That phone is her lifeline. Now what will she do? Good fortune is with her because she finds another phone in a bin. Problem? The phone belongs to someone else and that someone else – Sam Roxton – wants it back.

Before I go any further here I just have to say, by this time in the book I thought Poppy was ridiculous. The simplest thing to do would have been to a) go to a mobile provider and get a new phone with her old number b) tell her fiance that the horrible, evil person who stole her phone had also either knocked the ring from her finger or taken it as well. Poppy does neither. To help the author further her story Poppy keeps Sam’s phone and proceeds to change his life by answering his emails, text messages etc. over the course of the next few weeks. At first he’s grumpy but then he sees the wisdom in the situation and voila, they’re in love.

I like meet cute books (Rachel Gibson’s Simply Irresistible is a favorite) and I like meet crazy books (Susan Elizabeth’s Natural Born Charmer with its beaver suit meet is still the winner here) but meet contrived never works. Simply by doing what 99% of the population would have done Poppy would have avoided this entire book. Instead she throws herself from one adorably??? wonky situation to the next, so that the author can tell us an “amusing” tale from a crazy characters point of view. I saw every set up coming (the kimono was especially egregious) and at the end could only say that Sam would be over this girl in about a month. He’s not a caregiver and this woman practically needs a handler with a straight jacket. Ugh.

The Floral Challenge – five down,twelve to go.
Cocktail Challenge – complete!
Letter Q Challenge – complete!