Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Replay
Chasing Christmas Eve by Jill Shalvis:
The heroine was a YA author who hoped a change of scenery would help with her writer’s block. She had a meet-cute with the hero when the dog he was walking knocked her into a fountain. The hero had been quite secretive in the previous books, but felt an instant connection to the heroine. They fell for one another very quickly then thought the other only wanted the temporary fling they’d agreed upon. We learned a surprising secret about one of the secondary characters. The heroine’s level of success as an author with only a single trilogy published seemed odd. She needed to set boundaries for her mother and younger brothers as they took advantage of her financially and emotionally. The quirkiness factor often crossed the line into overly cutesy. I had some other plot quibbles, particularly with the way the h/h each overreacted to things multiple times. It was fun to catch up with the other characters. Light on conflict but nevertheless an enjoyable read.

Whiskey River Rescue by Justine Davis: The heroine ran a horse rescue center and was surprised to arrive at the home she was renting to see it being bulldozed. She stormed over to confront the person responsible. Of course all was not as it seemed. The hero was the town recluse. He was keeping several secrets but they were very easy to guess. The romance was slow to start, but well-balanced with the other subplots. I liked the heroine but she was entirely too selfless and perfect most of the time. It irked me that she solved a major problem the hero was having though I understood why the author made that choice (trying not to be spoilery). In the end everything was tied too neatly in a bow. Despite multiple issues overall I enjoyed the story.

• Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Replay: 15 down, 2 to go…
  • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!
  • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): completed!
  • The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: completed!
  • The Cocktail Challenge: completed!
  • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: completed!
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: completed!