Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge
G for guardian — Read a romance where the heroine and/or hero is on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire-fighting organization. Or read a romance where the heroine and/or hero is a parent.
Kansas City Cop by Julie Miller – heroine is a police officer:
I had issues with the fact the hero was the heroine’s physical therapist as them becoming involved goes against the code of ethics. The mystery subplot was intriguing, but the fact the heroine was investigating her and her partner’s shooting while on medical leave and the hero was helping her kept throwing me out of the story. Especially because the cops in charge of the investigation did not mind. The heroine’s family problems too often felt forced, but I liked them even if they weren’t fully developed characters. I wish we’d seen more of the secondary romance with the hero’s business partner. I enjoyed parts of the mystery, but overall a disappointing read.

The Catchphrase Challenge
“Live long and prosper.” Spock, (Star Trek) – Read a sci-fi romance or a romance where the characters are wealthy or a book with an elderly matchmaker.
Mateer by Veronica Scott – sci-fi Romance:
The heroine woke up on an unknown planet horrified to find herself considered nothing but a lab rat to be experimented on by alien “scientists.” The hero was the second-in-command to the previous book’s hero. He broke into the facility where the heroine was being held and was none too happy about becoming a prisoner again after a few brief weeks of freedom. Once he met the heroine he decided she was his mate, but was understanding that she wasn’t too keen on the idea. The alien bad guys were the usual proverbial mustache-twirling evil, but that actually worked for the plot. There was more emphasis on the romance than in the previous book. I liked the h/h both individually and as a couple. Sections of the story seemed too contrived and there wasn’t much forward progress to the ongoing story arc but overall an enjoyable read.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 1 down, 17 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 3 down, 15 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 2 down, 16 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 1 down, 17 to go…