Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 21st Century Challenge
2006 = Eternal Nights by Patti O’Shea (published Aug 2006):
I read the first book in this series for the 15 in 2015 challenge. Not sure why I let this one languish in my TBR for so long. The secondary couple from book one appeared again to resolve their storyline. There was also a small glimpse of the main couple from the previous book. The hero remembered his past life on the alien planet, but the heroine did not. The story bounced back and forth between the various characters which caused some pacing issues. Often the resolution to one of the jams the h/h found themselves in felt a bit deus ex machina, but that was a minor quibble. I enjoyed the main romance more than the dream flashbacks of their previous life, but I appreciated the emphasis that they were now very different people. I was very happy to get more of the secondary romance even with the OTT angst.

Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas
The Troll Bridge by Patti O’Shea:
This short novella read more like an excerpt than a complete story. The h/h spent an afternoon together so the quasi-HFN was more appropriate than a HEA. The previous books involved psychic abilities and reincarnations so the time-travel element didn’t bother me. It was the fact the author made absolutely no attempt to resolve unanswered questions, simply had the hero tell the heroine they’d figure something out (trying not to be too spoilery, but sheesh!). A very dissatisfying conclusion to the series.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 2 down, 16 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 3 down, 15 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 3 down, 15 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 1 down, 17 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge : 6 down, 12 to go…