Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 21st Century Challenge
2008 = Par for the Course by Jenna Bayley-Burke (published July 2008):
The heroine had a crush on the hero while he was in college and she was in grad school. They’d shared one kiss at a party. Years later she had bleached her hair and wore colored contacts to disguise herself when she set up an interview at his golf resort to write a magazine article on how golf courses were the hot new singles scene. The set-up made little sense other than to give the heroine a reason to dress in disguise at the start (though it was explained in more detail late in the story). The h/h each repeatedly jumped to erroneous conclusions. The subplot involving the hero’s brother and father was meant to give the hero other issues to deal with but bored me. The hero was a passive-aggressive creep right up to the end. The h/h needed professional counseling, both individually and as a couple. The female owner of the neighboring golf resort was by far my favorite character. A very disappointing read.

2009 = Love Me Tomorrow by Dee Tenorio (published Feb 2009): The hero started as a self-centered jerk who had broken up with the heroine years before. When she’d started dating his bff he guilted them both until they broke up. The bff was killed in a fire and the town blamed the heroine. There were too many scenes from the villain’s POV and his identity was obvious. It was frustrating that the h/h refused to have an honest conversation at the start. I liked the heroine. Thankfully the story vastly improved in the second half.

2010 = Doctoring the Single Dad by Marie Ferrarella (published Mar 2010): The pediatrician heroine repeatedly thought how most fathers were inept at taking care of infants. She also talked a lot about her other patients. All of which we were meant to find amusing, but kept throwing me out of the story. Several of the circumstances that caused the h/h to spend time together felt manufactured as did their breakup near the end. The heroine’s matchmaking mother was annoying. Despite the numerous plot issues I liked the h/h.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 2 down, 16 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 4 down, 14 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 4 down, 14 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 1 down, 17 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge : 10 down, 8 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 2 down, 16 to go…