Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 21st Century Challenge
2011 = Deadly Dreams by Kylie Brant (published Apr 2011):
Each year I pick one author from my TBR I am woefully behind on and this year I chose Kylie Brant. I read the previous book in this series way back in 2010 (eek!). There were a number of plot elements introduced that didn’t really go anywhere and there were issues with some of the secondary characters being more caricatures than fully formed characters. The romance felt rushed, but that fact was addressed on page so the HEA was believable. There were significant developments in the overarching storyline regarding the heroine’s boss. But the focus of the book was very much the serial killer case the h/h were investigating. The heroine and her journey back to trusting herself made the book for me.

2012 = Holiday Affair by Annie Seaton (published Mar 2012) : The h/h met while she was on vacation and had a one-night stand. When she returned home she discovered that not only was he the brother of one of her guy friends who suddenly wanted to discuss marriage, but also a new professor in the history department where she was a professor, and her new neighbor. The hero was a condescending jerk and treated the heroine terribly through most of the story. There wasn’t nearly enough groveling or effort on his part to change his behavior, he just suddenly decided it was true love and…blah! Even though the plot and hero did not work at all for me, I enjoyed the settings and liked some of the supporting characters so I would try this author again.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 2 down, 16 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 4 down, 14 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 4 down, 14 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 1 down, 17 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge : 12 down, 6 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 2 down, 16 to go…