Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge
T for transfigure — Read a romance where the heroine and/or hero has the ability to shift into an animal.
Waking Hearts by Elizabeth Hunter – heroine is a fox shifter, hero a bear shifter:
This couple intrigued me from the moment they were hinted at in book one. The heroine was reluctant to get involved as she was going through a divorce after her husband had abandoned her and their children, working two jobs, and felt she had nothing to give. The hero had been in love with her since high school. They took things slow which was frustrating at times but fit their characters. There was the usual dose of humor. I found it odd that the revelation from the previous book was not addressed at least by the heroine in an internal monologue or something (trying not to be spoilerish). We were left with numerous loose ends in the overarching plot so I’m hoping the author eventually returns to this series (it’s currently on hold according to her website). My favorite of the series.

The 21st Century Challenge
2014 = His Taste of Temptation by Cathryn Fox (published Nov 2014):
The hero was attracted to the heroine but erroneously thought she was involved with his younger brother who was her bff and roommate. This misconception took too long to clear up. The way they got together the first time was improbable and silly. I wished they’d simply had an honest conversation. The heroine had self-confidence issues so repeatedly reminded the hero their relationship was only temporary. The hero felt unworthy to be with her. I found it odd there were apparently no zoning restrictions in the town. I liked the h/h, but the characters deserved a better plot.

2015 = Alec’s Royal Assignment by Amelia Autin (published Aug 2015): The hero started off as a jerk who thought he was enlightened but his thoughts and actions made it clear he thought of women as lesser. The heroine was a royal bodyguard trying to prove women belonged in the royal family’s personal guard. When she foiled an assignation attempt the hero inserted himself into the situation despite not being part of the protection detail. When it finally seemed he would step up he then changed his mind because his job was the most important thing to him. Of course things worked out that he didn’t have to actually sacrifice anything. The hero was exceedingly annoying, but I liked the heroine. She deserved so much better. An extremely disappointing read.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 4 down, 14 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 5 down, 13 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 4 down, 14 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 2 down, 16 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge : 15 down, 3 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 2 down, 16 to go…