Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Recently Read Reply To: Recently Read

stl-reader
Participant

Marriage of Inconvenience by Penny Reid

I read the first book in the Knitting in the City series–“meh” for me–and also the highly touted Dating-ish, which I ranked with 3 out of 5 stars on Good reads.

But compared to this latest offering, those two books are positively scintillating.

TBH, I cannot help but think that the only readers who will really enjoy it are those who have faithfully followed the series and have been waiting for Dan and Kat’s story. (And even halfway through MoI, you will feel like you are still waiting for it…).

As far as the romance goes, I found it to be in short supply. Big no-no for this romance reader! And then the heroine, Kat, has so many issues, and, well, couple that with a bunch of ongoing external obstacles, and it takes forever to get the H/h together. And even then I wasn’t wowed by their relationship. Any less romance, and I’d almost be tempted to call this “women’s fiction.”

I’ve also noticed that Reid’s characters seem to have a similar (hip) voice. I had this same problem with Lucy Parker’s books, which I liked but, yeah, the character voices seemed very similar/interchangeable.

For those of you who love the Knitting in the City series, I’ll be curious to see your take on Marriage of Inconvenience.