Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
N = Cowboy SEAL Homecoming by Nicole Helm:
The h/h were step-siblings, but had only met on a handful of occasions as the hero had been off serving in the Navy and had only come home twice in the ten years the heroine’s mother was married to his father. The now twenty-five year old heroine considered his father hers as well. They both kept telling themselves they couldn’t be attracted to one other for that reason. I found it odd there was no mention if the hero had kept in touch with his father while gone (phone calls? email? did they not speak to one another?) The heroine had been sick as a child so I understood why she had no close friends as isolated as she was, but it was also odd that she didn’t have any online friends or at least acquaintances. The heroine’s mother defined overprotective so it was nice to see the heroine finally take her own advice and stand up for herself. The guys had supposedly been through mandatory counseling, but their therapist(s) must have been extremely inept as they each had such a dim and distorted view of therapy. The first half of the book focused more on the heroine’s issues, the second half more on the hero’s, so at times it felt uneven. The book started very slow and there was sequel bait for the next two books. A lot of subplots were packed into the story some of which I wished had gotten more page time. The heroine was a bit too perfect, but I liked her. Despite all of this I really enjoyed the book overall. I adored the h/h both individually and as a couple. A good blend of angst and humor.

Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas
Midnight Kiss by Jenny Schwartz:
The heiress heroine managed her father’s estate, but played ghost hunter by night. The hero was the “spare” who had retired from the navy after his older brother’s death. They met when she snuck into his castle to sketch the rumored ghost. The hero’s behaved poorly at their first meeting, but redeemed himself. After the heroine ran away the story morphed into more of a traditional Regency-lite. Despite the blurb, the ghost barely appeared in the story. A fun premise, but overall an uneven read.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 5 down, 13 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 8 down, 10 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 7 down, 11 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 4 down, 14 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 5 down, 13 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge : completed!