Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
B = Deadly Sins by Kylie Brant:
The hero was a former FBI agent and founder of the company that serves as the basis for this series. He’d been tortured before the start of the series so walked with a limp and was missing one eye. Originally this book was to be the last in the series (though the author self-published additional books a few years later). It was nice to finally learn more of the hero’s background. He had broken up with the heroine years before for her “own good.” He regretted it, but was convinced he’d done the right thing. The heroine had secrets of her own. I loved the fact she’d come into her own in the intervening years. I also loved that we got more page time with the hero’s second-in-command and to explore their friendship somewhat. The main villain was regrettably obvious. The case was intriguing, but the villain setting the hero up as a suspect relied on a multitude of coincidences. This was the point, but often felt too convoluted. I enjoyed the glimpses of humor. I loved the h/h, but wish there had been more focus on their romance as the suspense plot far outweighed the romance.

The Catchphrase Challenge
“Oh, my God! They killed Kenny!” Stan and Kyle, (South Park) – Read a romance that revolves around a murder.
Chasing Evil by Kylie Brant – h/h are investigating a serial killer:

“Danger, Will Robinson!” Robot, (Lost in Space) – Read an action/adventure romance or romantic suspense novel.
Touching Evil by Kylie Brant – romantic suspense:

“Would have got away if it wasn’t for those meddling kids!” (Most Scooby-Doo villains, Scooby-Doo) – Read a book where the h/h help catch a villain or bring about justice.
Facing Evil by Kylie Brant – conclusion of the Circle of Evil trilogy featuring a forensic psychologist heroine and a DCI agent hero:

Since the serial killers case plot spanned the entire trilogy, I decided to read these books back-to-back and combine my comments. The h/h’s working relationship started off strained due to their breakup after a brief affair. We learned the details in flashbacks throughout the first book. Despite feeling they had nothing in common outside of work, the hero wanted more. The plot of each book was a behind-the-scenes look at a methodical task-force investigation, including how the characters dealt with the office politics involved with multiple law enforcement agencies and bosses more interested in positive press than anything else. Each book had a logical ending and neither of the first two books ended on a cliffhanger, but the overarching mystery plot and lack of resolution between the h/h meant these books would not work well as stand-alones. The subplot regarding a former undercover op of the hero’s seemed out of place in the first book. It served a purpose through each book but the resolution was off page so felt unnecessary. I suspected the main baddie from book three when the character was introduced in book one, so it seemed very odd the über-observant heroine didn’t. The romance in the first book was limited to the flashback scenes so I was happy the h/h were the main protagonists of all three books as their relationship definitely needed more page time. I had issues with two of the main plot points in book two (can’t say more without major spoilers). One of the supporting characters seemed to have magical healing abilities given how fast he recovered from being shot multiple times. I liked the hero’s partner and wish we’d seen more of her. The cases were dark, but balanced with humor. Overall, I enjoyed the main romance as well as both secondary romances, though each was underdeveloped.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 6 down, 12 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 9 down, 9 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 14 down, 4 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 9 down, 9 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 6 down, 12 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge : completed!