Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Shoe Challenge
Cowboy boots – Read a Western romance or a book where the h/h is a farmer/rancher
A Nice Day for a Cowboy Wedding by Nicole Helm – hero is a rancher:
The heroine had been hired by the hero’s mother to plan her dream wedding. The hero and his siblings thought their mother’s fiancé was a lying scoundrel and vowed to stop the wedding. The heroine’s desire to convince the hero and his siblings to support their mom in order to give the client what she wanted was understandable. But it was irksome that the mother refused to have an honest conversation with her adult children simply to provide plot conflict. I found the entire subplot frustrating and set the book aside multiple times. The hero’s “I’m head of the family” act was a bit much given that his mother and grandmother both lived at the ranch, but the attitude was thankfully explained later in the book. The romance between the h/h worked much better. Even when they each jumped to conclusions about the other they clicked. I also liked the relationship the hero developed with the heroine’s son. Despite my issues with the plot, overall an entertaining read.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
P = Prisoner of the Crown by Jeffe Kennedy:
Though this prequel trilogy will have a HEA, this book was not a romance. I appreciated that the author was clear about that, but still waited to read it. The heroine was the sister of the hero from The Talon of the Hawk. He’s one of my favorite characters so reading about him as a young teen was one of the highlights of this story. The plot revolved around the heroine’s betrothal and nightmarish marriage arranged by her mother to gain political power. The discrepancy in The Edge of the Blade (where in one paragraph we were told Hestor was the eldest with Jenna born a month later, then later told she was firstborn) was cleared up with Jenna being the eldest of the ten siblings. The story focused on the heroine’s realization that many in her family viewed her as a disposable pawn and her journey to value herself. I am looking forward to the remaining books.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 9 down, 9 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 14 down, 4 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 17 down, 1 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 14 down, 4 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 16 down, 2 to go…
  • Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler): 3 down, 15 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge: completed!