Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler)
Rescued by the Marine by Julie Miller:
The hero was a former Marine who now worked search and rescue. His reporter girlfriend had been killed after being abducted. He suffered from PTSD and had become a recluse. The heroine had multiple college degrees and was content to remain out of the limelight much to the disappointment of the rest of her family. The heroine’s mother had been killed during a kidnapping when she was seven. So when the heroine was kidnapped, her father refused to pay the ransom. Instead he hired the hero to find her. The h/h each had reasons to not want to become involved and acknowledged that the circumstances of their meeting meant their attraction to one another was problematic. The main villain was obvious despite a number of viable suspects. There was more emphasis on the action plot than the romance, but I liked the fact the h/h took turns saving each other. I liked the hero, but it was the heroine who made the book work. Despite the rushed ending, overall an engaging read.

The Billionaire’s Legacy by Reese Ryan: The hero had always had a crush on his older sister’s bff. He’d recently sold his Seattle-based tech company for a few billion and was off to Japan for six months. The heroine now lived in Nashville. They hadn’t seen one another for ten years when both returned to their Tennessee hometown for his cousin’s wedding. They agreed to a one-night and to go their separate ways. Flash-forward six months. Despite the hero’s attitude, I had a major issue with the fact the heroine had kept her pregnancy a secret. Thankfully this issue was addressed early on. The hero had grown up rich so he could be flippant about money. He could also be overbearing. The h/h often didn’t listen and each jumped to conclusions about the other’s motivations based on their own insecurities. Neither wanted to be the first to admit they’d fallen in love. I liked the subplot with the heroine’s mother and grandfather. I wish we’d seen more of the heroine and hero’s sister’s relationship on page rather than being told about it. Most of the conflict between the h/h at the end seemed forced. Overall an uneven but likeable read.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 7 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 14 down, 4 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 17 down, 1 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 14 down, 4 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 16 down, 2 to go…
  • Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler): 5 down, 13 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge: completed!