Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge
N for name — Read a romance where the heroine and/or hero’s name begins with the letter R (the 18th letter of the alphabet).
Leverage in Death by JD Robb – hero is named Roarke:
This book fell near the midway point on the scale between character driven vs procedural plot. It was a whodunit with the villains not appearing until late in the story. We didn’t get to know the main victims as well as we have in past books, so the impact of their deaths didn’t resonate as strongly as it could have. As usual there were some wonderful personal interactions between Eve and Roarke as well as Eve and many of the secondary characters. No spoilers, but while I loved one of the developments in the epilogue, others felt over the top. Overall another solid, but middle-of-the-road entry in this long-running series.

Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler)
Exile of the Seas by Jeffe Kennedy:
The book picked up where the previous left off with the heroine having escaped her homeland. I loved the first part of the book set on the ship. The heroine understood just how much she didn’t know and set about learning as much as she could. We met the hero of the trilogy. There was a glimmer of the possibility of a future romance, but the story remained centered around the heroine’s journey and efforts to heal from her recent trauma. We met a character who had only been mentioned in the earlier books (which are set much later time-wise) so that was a pleasant surprise. The heroine needed time to come to terms with everything and to learn to rely on herself, so I was glad the romance was not a focus. I loved the way in which her childhood dream came true. Some parts of the overarching story were fittingly wrapped up. I am now anxiously awaiting the final book in this trilogy.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 7 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 15 down, 3 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 17 down, 1 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 14 down, 4 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 16 down, 2 to go…
  • Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler): 6 down, 12 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge: completed!