Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler)
Secrets of the Dead by Kylie Brant:
The author originally planned to end this series after six books, so when I read that “last” book earlier this year I was glad to know the loose plot thread left dangling would be addressed (and that I didn’t have to wait four years to read it). The h/h were tasked with tracking down who was behind the attempted kidnapping of their boss’ son which involved them going undercover as a married couple. The heroine was a hyperpolyglot with plenty of secrets. The hero was a former detective and computer expert. One of the main villains was an intriguing albeit totally malicious character who was too easily caught. The main villain and his sidekicks were cartoonishly evil. The convoluted suspense plot took some interesting twists and turns, but the conclusion was very clichéd. The romance took a backseat to the mystery for most of the story. I wish there would have been a bit more focus on their relationship or an epilogue. But overall I really liked the h/h and they made the book work.

The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge
A for Australasia — Read a romance set in Australia, New Zealand, or the neighboring islands.
Rebel Hard by Nalini Singh – set in New Zealand:
We originally met this h/h in the first book of this spin-off series. The series was supposed to be about T-Rex’s brothers, but I am so glad the author decided to give this couple their own book. Their first introduction at a party ended abruptly. They met again through their parents though each had independently decided to withdraw from considering an arranged marriage. Much of the story ran concurrently with Cherish Hard so there were some “repeated” scenes from the POV of this heroine or hero, plus plenty of surprises. They had a few misunderstandings and each made mistakes, but once they met again the h/h both made an effort to discuss their issues. They each had a complicated relationship with their families who featured prominently. I enjoyed the exploration of their various relationships and friendships in addition to the romance. I also enjoyed the nods to Pride and Prejudice. Overall a delightful read filled with humor, affection, angst, and joy

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 7 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 17 down, 1 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 17 down, 1 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 14 down, 4 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 17 down, 1 to go…
  • Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler): 7 down, 11 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge: completed!