Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 18 in 2018 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Catchphrase Challenge
“The thrill of victory and the agony of ­defeat.” Jim McKay, (Wide World of Sports) – Read a sports romance.
Defending Hearts by Rebecca Crowley – hero is a professional soccer player:
It took me a while to get into this book. The heroine was dismissive of soccer in general and the hero in particular in the opening scene with no reason given. I didn’t like the way she sniped and got in petty digs regarding his devotion to his religion and/or his lack of it in the first part of the story even if she didn’t mean them that way. The hero had been born in Sweden and lived in America for over a decade. He was forced by the team manager to have security installed in his home after his address was published on an anti-Muslim website. The heroine was tired of always being treated as one of the guys but didn’t want to date as she felt she needed to figure out who she was now that she was no longer in the Army. The hero didn’t want to date as he had a life plan-with-a-capital-P he was determined to follow and wanted to settle down. Their romance took time to develop and there was a lot of back and forth before it did, but I ended up really liking them as a couple. I also liked the hero’s relationship with his bff. I wish we had seen more of his brother and sister-in-law on page and less of the heroine’s sister. The h/h each had their own issues to work through, but did so as grown-ups. They made an effort to communicate so there were no big misunderstandings. Add a touch of suspense plus plenty of humor—particularly about the hero’s house and his admiration of minimalist design—and overall a very enjoyable read.

• Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: 11 down, 7 to go…
  • The 18 in 18 Phonics Challenge: 17 down, 1 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation : 17 down, 1 to go…
  • The Catchphrase Challenge: 15 down, 3 to go…
  • The Shoe Challenge: 17 down, 1 to go…
  • Easy Eighteen Challenge (The Whittler): 7 down, 11 to go…
  • The 21st Century Challenge: completed!