Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
The Hurt Locker (2009) — Read a romance in which one or both lead characters are in the military or are veterans; or, read a romance set during a war.
Edge of Survival by Toni Anderson — hero is former SAS:
The helicopter pilot hero was cruel to the biologist heroine on multiple occasions to drive her away. However, she was aware of his motivation and determined that they would become friends. The murder mystery was bland as the main villain was obvious. The minor villain had far too many POV scenes and then never got a comeuppance which was extremely vexing. I wish the subplot about the lead RCMP detective had been more deeply explored. Despite issues with the way the romance’s black moment and the resolution of the suspense plot played out, I liked the h/h as a couple. I just wish I could’ve liked the book as a whole more than I did.

The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge
N for name — Read a romance where the heroine and/or hero’s first or last name begins with the letter S (the 19th letter of the alphabet).
Playing for Keeps by Jill Shalvis – heroine’s name is Sadie:
The h/h each had baggage from their pasts. They both tended to overreact and jump to conclusions, but also knew this was something they needed to work on. I loved the hero’s sisters and the way he interacted with his family. The heroine’s family also played a significant role. The conflicts were all internal, so their repeated misunderstandings seemed forced after a while. But overall a nice blend of humor and angst with very likeable leads and a fun dog. Another solid entry in this series.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 1 down, 18 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…