Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge
E for enduring — Read a romance which features a couple who have been together for a long time and/or already married.
Connections in Death by JD Robb – h/h are married:
The latest in this long-running series had a different structure and pacing than usual. The book started with a party where we had the chance to catch up with most of the series’ regulars. We were also treated to a small glimpse of Roarke’s work day. After this meandering start, the story kicked into gear with the discovery of an apparent overdose. While the case overall was average and more of a procedural ‘how do they prove it’ rather than a mystery whodunit, I enjoyed the book for all of the personal interactions. I loved seeing more of particular favorites Nadine and Caro. It was also nice to get more of Crack and the introduction of his lady love. Another solid entry in the series.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
P = Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik:
The heroine was an on-the-run princess. The hero was a fugitive with a large bounty on his head. They met when each were taken prisoner. Set in the far distant future, the story was a good balance of romance, action, political intrigue, and the bonds of family—both the kind you’re born into and the type you create for yourself. The fact the story was told solely from the heroine’s POV meant there were some events that happened off page which I would have liked to have known more about. The main romance was slow to develop due to trust issues. I loved that the h/h took turns rescuing each other. They each overreacted at times, but owned their mistakes and made the effort to share and communicate more effectively. The story also included a lovely secondary romance I wish had had more page time. We were introduced to the h/h of the next book, but the sequel-bait was well-integrated into the plot. Overall an absorbing and delightful read.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 7 down, 12 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 1 down, 18 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 4 down, 15 to go…