Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
N = Archangel’s Prophecy by Nalini Singh:
I read this entire series for the first time over the past two weeks (Though full disclosure I had previously read book 8 when it released in 2015 as well as some of the author’s newsletter short stories.) The main h/h’s romance was already well established in the first two books and remained steadfast here. The mystery of who attempted to kill the heroine’s brother-in-law was more interesting for the “why” than for the “who.” The main plot centered on the heroine’s health regression from immortal back to mortal. We were left with plenty of questions, but I don’t think the ending actually qualified as a cliffhanger (nevertheless I am anxiously awaiting the next book). More angsty than usual, but overall an absorbing read.

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
From Here to Eternity (1953) — Read a romance that’s set in Hawaii
Fierce Justice by Piper J Drake:
The hero had a lackadaisical attitude about his job, but had quit the security firm he’d worked for when we met him in the previous book due to their decision to turn a blind eye to the human trafficking perpetrated by one of their top clients. The heroine was a sniper who worked at a different security firm which normally specialized in search and rescue. Though they agreed to have a one-night stand, they each then wanted to take the time to get to know one another. Their romance was complicated by the fact neither was good at communicating when it came to their personal lives. I liked the hero, but it was the heroine who made the book for me. She was brilliant at her job, prickly, smart, and caring, yet saw herself as too violent and brusque. Her dog was one of my favorites from this series. The fact a conversation toward the end very quickly snowballed into a break-up as they each shut down and pushed each other away could have seemed contrived, but it was so in keeping with both of their characters that it worked. Though the HEA was solid, the ending felt rushed. Part of me wishes there’d been an epilogue, so I am hopeful we’ll see the h/h again in the next book of the series. The suspense plot was basically a continuation of the previous book. But despite my quibbles with that fact and the rushed ending, overall a very enjoyable read.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 5 down, 14 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 8 down, 11 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 1 down, 18 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 6 down, 13 to go…