Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
It Happened One Night (1934) — Read a romance featuring an heiress
The Setup by Marie Ferrarella – heroine is an heiress:
This book took place concurrently with the first book. The hero’s sixteen-year-old daughter fixed him up on a blind date using a dating service. She knew her father didn’t present well “on paper” so fudged his details a bit. The heroine’s sisters signed her up for the dating service. She was a free-spirited artist currently managing her family hotel’s art gallery. She had a three-year-old daughter. The heroine referring to an odious actor as her “ideal” kept throwing me out of the story. We were given confirmation the suspect from the first book was a bad guy. Sadly, he was a whiny brat who knew he was in the wrong but wanted revenge for his loser father. I had zero sympathy for him since some of his so-called pranks could have seriously injured people. That subplot was left dangling and there was entirely too much page time from his POV. The romance was super rushed, but this was addressed on page so the HEA was believable. It helped that the h/h were both older (he was 47, she was 35). The mystery was underdeveloped and the resolution was beyond anti-climactic and totally ridiculous. A last minute subplot was introduced then resolved too quickly resulting in some unnecessary, over the top drama. I rolled my eyes a lot. But the romance had such a sense of fun it made for an enjoyable read despite the plot issues.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
L = The Unknown Woman by Laurie Paige:
This book also took place concurrently with the first two books in the series. The hero found a dead body in his hotel room during a blackout. The heroine had met the dead woman earlier that day and felt a connection to her. So when no one claimed the body, they arranged for her cremation and to scatter her ashes. Some of the research was well-integrated into the story, but most of the voodoo facts and “what to see and do while in New Orleans” came off as pure info dumping. The heroine was a dental hygienist, the hero a wine critic. They each wanted more than a vacation fling but didn’t want to be presumptuous. I liked the heroine. The hero wasn’t a bad guy but he too often made decisions and did things to “spare” the heroine only telling her after the fact. The deceased woman was the most intriguing character and I wanted more for her. An uneven read overall.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 6 down, 12 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 9 down, 10 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 1 down, 18 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 8 down, 11 to go…