Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
The Artist (2011) — Read a romance in which one or both of the main characters is in the film industry; a romance in which one or both is involved in the art world in some way; or, since one of the movie’s characters is French, a romance set in France or with one or more French lead characters.
Damage Control by Kristi Gold — hero is a director:
Prior to the start of the book, the hero dumped the heroine and quit the movie they’d been developing. Even though he’d been in breach of contract this had no negative repercussions on him professionally, whereas it destroyed her career as a producer. Of course, he hadn’t bothered to wonder what happened when his lawyers used her as a scapegoat or attempted to contact her for three years. She deserved more than a cursory verbal apology. His reasons for not being honest about why he’d left were flimsy. He needed to grovel and actually talk to the heroine about his regrets rather than simply lamenting his actions in his internal monologues. He eventually did somewhat but not nearly enough. He told himself he’d do whatever was necessary to make things up to her, then turned around and unfairly blamed her more than once. The reader knew he regretted his actions both then and now, but it wasn’t made as clear to the heroine so it felt she forgave him too easily. The whiny bad guy continued to have too many POV scenes. The hero’s nephew conveniently went on play dates or sleepovers whenever the hero needed to spend time alone with the heroine. The subplot with his sister wasn’t as developed as it could have been, but at least there was on-page resolution. I liked the heroine and rooted for her HEA with the hero. I just wish the author hadn’t had the hero run hot and cold solely to provide conflict. Another uneven read I wanted to like more.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 6 down, 13 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 9 down, 10 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 1 down, 18 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 9 down, 10 to go…