Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

I haven’t completed The Alphabet Challenge Variation quite yet, but I have enough books I plan to read this year to do two rounds and I’ve already read my first “A” and “L” entries, so…

The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise
A = Nightchaser by Amanda Bouchet:
This book alternated POV, but I found it extremely odd that the heroine’s scenes were written in first person while the hero’s scenes were written in third. This made for some jarring transitions. The rebel heroine and her small crew were forced to wait on a planet for their ship to be repaired. The hero was the person she’d hired to do the repairs. Since the reader was aware of the hero’s secret from the start, it was obvious the heroine would discover it at an inopportune time to cause the most conflict. The author did a good job of making each of them sympathetic and yet still have valid reasons for their actions and lack of trust. The last few chapters seemed to be setting up events for book two so the plot felt like it lost focus somewhat. I was bummed that we won’t get to know one of the secondary characters better. The main villain was an evil mustache twirler, but the secondary villain was a more nuanced character. I’m curious how his story arc will play out. Also hoping the secondary romance hinted at will happen. A few plot quibbles, but overall an entertaining action-adventure story with an engaging romance. I’m looking forward to book two of the trilogy next year.

L = Some Like it Hot by Lori Wilde: We were meant to find the opening scene funny, but their unprofessionalism made me question both the h/h’s competence. The series’ bad guy continued to sabotage things, but at least there were no POV scenes so we weren’t subjected to his whining. I had sympathy for the heroine in her belief she never quite fit in with her family, but she was overly judgmental and continually jumped to conclusions. The h/h were both exasperating for much of the book. The hero at least improved his attitude. Their romance felt routine. The book got better at the end, but overall a frustrating read.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 6 down, 13 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 10 down, 9 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 1 down, 18 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 10 down, 9 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 2 down, 17 to go…