Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
J = Lonen’s Reign by Jeffe Kennedy:
The final book in the series picked up where we left off. Having reclaimed his throne, the hero made plans to finally marry his wife according to the customs of his kingdom (they’d already married according to her kingdom’s rituals in book two). Their respite didn’t last long as the threat of war still loomed over both kingdoms. The h/h continued to work as a team along with her dragon familiar. I wanted more of the hero’s stalwart warhorse, but at least he made an appearance. All of the major plot threads were addressed but a few small questions remained. On the one hand the final battle felt rushed, but on the other it was perfectly apropos. I loved seeing the heroine embrace her hard-won command over her abilities and the hero continue to demonstrate why he was a good leader. A delightful read filled with humor and the bonds of family.

S = Kierce by Veronica Scott: The ex-military heroine had been kidnapped from a ship where she was an engineer and imprisoned in an alien lab. The hero had been subjected to more horrible experimentation and forced to shift forms. The main bad guy was the usual proverbial mustache-twirling evil scientist. The conflict changed once they’d been rescued from the lab, but the middle section of the book dragged. The hero’s woe-is-me attitude was somewhat understandable, but his rampant jealously quickly grew wearisome. I appreciated that the heroine refused to put up with it or his misguided attempt to ignore his shifting ability. It was nice to have some POV scenes from the hero of book one. It was also nice to see some of the other previous characters, either in supporting roles or quick cameos. There were parts I enjoyed, but overall an uneven read.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 8 down, 11 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 10 down, 9 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 1 down, 18 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 10 down, 9 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 2 down, 17 to go…