Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge
C for critter — Read a romance where the heroine and/or hero have a pet.
Stone Bridges by Carla Neggers – hero has a dog:
Most of the characters from the previous books put in an appearance and the others were mentioned (complete with a mini-synopsis of how they met). At times this was well-incorporated into the story—the heroine was given a cheat sheet!—but other times it was straight info-dumping. The h/h were both characters introduced earlier in the series. She had traveled extensively never staying in any one place for long. The h/h both assumed she would eventually leave town so they were reluctant to become involved despite their attraction. As a result, the romance was refreshingly slow to develop. There weren’t any major external conflicts, only subtle, internal ones. The heroine was a wine blogger-turned-innkeeper and loved to make lists. The hero was a former Marine who loved his work as a stonemason. I liked that they were both able to poke fun at themselves. After such a meandering pace the ending felt quite rushed, but the reasons for this were addressed as part of the plot. Overall a very charming addition to this long-running series.

The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas
The Queen’s Advantage by Jessie Mihalik:
This was a weekly serial on the author’s website and will be available to purchase in digital soon. I normally wouldn’t have read it until completely done, but caved and started it after reading the first novella in this series in January. So I anxiously awaited each week’s installment. The heroine journeyed to the hero’s home planet to discover who was behind the attempts on his life. His character took more of a backseat this time around. Of course things didn’t quite go according to their plan. The political machinations of his advisors were front and center and they all made valid suspects. I loved the hero’s mother. While the story had a conclusion, there were numerous subplots left hanging so I’m looking forward to the next novella in the series.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 8 down, 11 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 11 down, 8 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 10 down, 9 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 2 down, 17 to go…