Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
Crash (2005) — Read a romance in which one or both main characters are police officers or detectives; a romance where a main character is a victim of a crime or a potential victim; a romance set on the west coast of the U.S.; and/or a romance with characters from diverse racial/ethnic backgrounds as the leads.
Cavanaugh Cowboy by Marie Ferrarella — hero is a detective:
The hero was a burned-out detective who went to Texas for a change of pace. One of the supporting characters was supposed to be funny with her nosiness, but I found her overbearing. The hero came across as a sexist jerk upon discovering the ranch foreman was a woman but thankfully quickly and totally owned up to the folly of his assumption. The heroine was often anti-social. Some of their forced-togetherness scenes were stilted. The characters frequently acted oddly to further the plot. When one of the ranch workers went missing, the hero investigated despite being wildly out of his jurisdiction. And that was sadly only the tip of the iceberg vis-à-vis the lack of realistic police procedure. Overall a disjointed and very disappointing read.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
Q = Tightrope by Amanda Quick:
The heroine was a former trapeze artist-turned-hotelier. The hero was an engineer investigating the whereabouts of a cipher machine. He was also a Jones, though the Arcane Society was never actually mentioned. I enjoyed their romance even though it took a back seat to the mystery. Most of the villains were obvious but there were plenty of twists and turns. The secondary couple from the previous book had more page time which I enjoyed. One of the subplots was left unresolved (the characters discuss that fact on page) so it will be interesting to see if it will remain a background subplot for multiple books. Despite the family connection and the hero’s ability, I wouldn’t categorize this book as a paranormal as with the books in her long-running Arcane Society series. Overall a charming read filled with fun characters and the author’s customary humor.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 2 down, 17 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 13 down, 6 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 12 down, 7 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 13 down, 6 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 5 down, 14 to go…