Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
H = The Bride Test by Helen Hoang:
Determined to find her youngest son a wife, the hero’s mother went to Vietnam to interview candidates. The heroine worked in housekeeping at the hotel and caught her attention. The heroine’s mother encouraged her to go in order to make a better life for herself and her young daughter plus possibly locate her father. The hero was not keen on the idea, but went along since his mother promised she would stop trying to fix him up if he allowed the heroine to stay for the summer. Their families each had significant page time which added to the story. I adored the heroine. Their romance was filled with humor and self-discovery. Without spoilers, there was one element that wasn’t addressed until the very end. Though the author added some detail in the epilogue I wished more of the immediate fallout had been on page. Nonetheless overall this was an enchanting read.

The 20th Century Challenge
1984 = The Venus Shoe by Carla Neggers (published July 1984):
This book felt more old-skool than some of the author’s earlier books. The heroine was suspicious of the hero’s motives. The hero had no POV scenes which was typical for the period it was written. Sadly, so was the often dismissive and callous way the hero treated her. The heroine felt it made no sense that she so blindingly trusted the hero simply because she was attracted to him. He was keeping numerous secrets and became angry when she questioned him, yet he still refused to explain. I enjoyed the mystery and liked the heroine and her bff, But the hero’s attitude got on my last nerve and I hated something that he did (even if it was in self-defense).

• The 20th Century Challenge: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 14 down, 5 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 12 down, 7 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 13 down, 6 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 5 down, 14 to go…