Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) — Read a romance featuring a soldier re-adjusting to civilian life after coming home
Wyoming Cowboy Marine by Nicole Helm — hero has recently been discharged from active duty:
Raised off the grid, the heroine had been taught to never trust anyone. For not having been around any people other than her father for the past fifteen years, she was remarkably well-adjusted. The hero had left the Marines to start a security firm. The reasons why they needed to go undercover as a young married couple were implausible at best. The mystery plot had a few twists but was mostly lackluster and convoluted. This hero took the family feud more seriously than his siblings in the previous books. The romance felt underdeveloped. Overall I wanted to like the book more than I did.

Spotlight (2015) — Read a romance in which one or both of the lead characters are writers or journalists; a romance set at a newspaper or magazine; a romance in which one or both leads are involved in an investigation; a romance in which either of the leads is a member of the clergy; Or, simply, read a epistolary romance.
Killer Countdown by Amelia Autin — heroine is a reporter:
While determined to not be in the headlines again herself, the heroine seemingly had no qualms about exposing the secrets of others. She quickly decided the hero’s medical diagnosis wasn’t news and agreed to keep his secret until he was ready to go public. When they foiled an attempt on his life as he was leaving the hospital, he decided he had no choice but to do so right away. The hero’s wife had been killed years before as had the heroine’s fiancé, so they were each determined not to become involved. Of course their resolutions were short-lived as they fell in love in spite of themselves. Even though politics wasn’t the focus of this story, the fact the hero was a US senator caused me to put off reading this book. It was far-fetched that he was an independent who always voted his conscience, but given the current reality I was relieved the politics were handled in such a Pollyannaish way. Even with a few plot quibbles and the hero’s martyr/hero-complex, I quite enjoyed the romance. They had great chemistry and for the most part acted like adults. I liked the hero, but it was the heroine who made the book.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 14 down, 5 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 12 down, 7 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 5 down, 14 to go…