Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
Argo (2012) — Read a science fiction romance; read a romance involving one or more main characters who are spies; or a romance in which one or more lead characters work for any government.
End Transmission by Robyn Bachar – science fiction romance:
I was excited to read this final entry in the Galactic Cold War trilogy since its publication had been delayed multiple times. The hero was a doctor who owned their ship along with his sister. The heroine was an engineer and expert hacker. Their working relationship since she’d joined the crew often put them odds since he felt she never followed orders and she thought he was dismissive of her abilities. Stranded together on a smaller ship after an attack, they had to work together to survive and finally set aside their preconceived notions to truly get to know one another. It also allowed them to acknowledge the underlying attraction that had always been there and that they’d each avoided. The h/h took turns rescuing one other. It was nice that they talked through their issues. There were some brief moments to catch up with the other characters, though I wished we could have spent more time with the ensemble cast. The main story arc was somewhat resolved, but there were enough loose ends that I’m hoping for further books. Overall an enjoyable read filled with banter and adventure.

The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge
T for time — Read a futuristic or time-travel romance.
Camron by Veronica Scott – futuristic:
The hero had been recaptured by the main bad guys and sent to different secret lab. The heroine was a doctor. They were the sole survivors when the cargo ship they were on crashed on the way to yet another lab. After making a run for it, they were picked up and delivered to a new alien bad guy. Rather than a scientist, he was in charge of security on the planet and wanted to hunt the h/h as if they were big game. There were times the resolution to one of the jams the h/h found themselves in felt a bit deus ex machina. The hero was middle of the road, but I adored the heroine so enjoyed the romance. We had the first glimpse of one of the other groups since book one, so it will be interesting to see how that eventually plays out. Overall a solid read.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 14 down, 5 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 14 down, 5 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 16 down, 3 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 5 down, 14 to go…