Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise
H = Wyoming Cowboy Sniper by Nicole Helm:
The h/h liked trading snarky insults. She was the town mechanic; he was the town banker. They had a drunken one-night stand when his sister married her brother. Fast forward four months and the heroine told him she was pregnant. He disagreed with her plan to pretend the baby wasn’t his and for him to stay out of her and the baby’s lives. He wanted to be angry she’d waited to tell him, but realized they needed to find common ground. Before they could finish their argument, the bank was robbed and they were taken hostage. The heroine received a head injury and did not remember the past thirteen years when she first regained consciousness. The h/h each did some questionable things solely to move the plot forward which was frustrating. One of the hero’s sisters was a cop and had a significant amount of POV scenes. It was refreshing that she finally had it out with their contentious father. The hero was keeping a far-fetched secret. Plot quibbles galore, but I enjoyed the h/h together. Easily my favorite of this series.

The Alphabet Challenge Variation
K = The Knotted Skein by Carla Neggers:
The heroine had recently returned but had yet to tell her family. The hero had been presumed killed the week before and her ex-sister-in-law had supposedly committed suicide. The hero didn’t want her to mention that he was alive. He started as a condescending jerk. He apologized, but continued to give her orders without any explanations. As the only daughter with seven older brothers she’d been expected to study liberal arts. Her family didn’t take her pursuit of science seriously though she’d just been accepted to a doctoral program at MIT. I loved that the heroine wouldn’t allow the hero or her eldest brother to dictate her actions. The mystery was intriguing though I had quibbles with part of the resolution. We were meant to find the hero charming, but he was smug. So overall a vexing read.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 14 down, 5 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 3 down, 16 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 16 down, 3 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 6 down, 13 to go…