Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise
I = Interior Designs by Carla Neggers:
The hero owned a literary agency in NYC. The heroine was from the small town in Kansas where he’d grown up. His mother arranged for it to appear that he’d hired her to redesign his offices. The heroine went by a fake name so he wouldn’t know as she wanted to keep the job based on her talent. She was unaware the hero had easily recognized her. The had-to-lie plot was frustrating as it dragged out for too long. The fact she continually told herself there was no way he could have recognized her made the heroine appear foolish. The hero could be overbearing, but he was never mean. The humor helped. He played along and actually stopped her from confessing a few times. So it was easy to give in and embrace the ridiculousness of the plot. It also helped that it was acknowledged on page by the characters. I enjoyed seeing the couple from the previous book. An entertaining read.

The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas
Badari Warrior’s Baby by Veronica Scott:
This novella centered around the main couple from the second book in this series. The pregnant heroine was kidnapped by disgruntled members of the settlement who threatened to trade her baby to the horrible alien bad guys. The main kidnapper had been an annoyance in earlier books so his actions weren’t out of the blue, though the heroine and others were surprised he’d go so far. A subplot involved rooting out the others involved. The main focus was on the group effort to rescue the heroine. Despite the stressful situation, it was nice to have some of the earlier characters play an active part in the story. I enjoyed the secondary couple and hope we get to see more of their developing romance in future books. I appreciated that the heroine stayed true to her character and was never a damsel in distress. I wished the resolution to the suspense plot had been carried out by someone other than the hero. The last few chapters focused on the birth of the baby (not a spoiler, it’s the title!). Some uneven parts, but overall an enjoyable read.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 14 down, 5 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 16 down, 3 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 8 down, 11 to go…