Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

And The Award Goes To… Challenge
Unforgiven (1992) — Read a romance set in Wyoming or Kansas
Wyoming Cowboy Ranger by Nicole Helm – set in Wyoming:
The h/h had been secret sweethearts in high school. He’d taken off to join the Army without telling her. They’d avoided one other after he came back to town, but that changed when he realized she was the target of someone out to get him. I’d liked this heroine since the start of the series and she was the best part of the book (even with her negative thoughts at the start regarding her siblings’ marriages since the feud stuff has been deconstructed in every book. Plus the hero thought the same things.) Too many scenes from the villain’s POV. The hero had been a jerk to break his promises to her when they were younger, but that was understandable to an extent. But he did something “for her own protection” which crossed way over the line and never apologized. The heroine did most of the emotional labor which was frustrating. The book improved in the latter half. Despite my issues with the hero I liked their romance due to the heroine. Still an uneven read overall.

The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge
T for transfigure — Read a romance where the heroine and/or hero has the ability to shift into an animal.
Wolf Rain by Nalini Singh – hero is a wolf changeling:
We’re back to the familiar California setting in the latest Psy-Changeling Trinity book. I adored the heroine. She was an empath, but with a different skillset. I liked the hero who was one of the SnowDancer lieutenants, but he’s not a favorite when compared to the rest of the sprawling cast of characters. The focus was very much on them and their romance, but it was also fun to see so many of the favorite characters from the first story arc turn up. One of the newer characters had some POV scenes. I haven’t liked him since he was introduced. Don’t want to give spoilers but I am very much hoping the author is not setting him up to be a future hero. As with many of the previous book I enjoyed the h/h’s various friendships as much as the romance. Another solid entry in this series and now the long wait begins again for the next installment.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 17 down, 2 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 8 down, 11 to go…