Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise
R = Under Currents by Nora Roberts:
The first quarter of the book took place when the hero was in high school and dealt with the abuse he and his younger sister suffered. I was glad they both went to therapy and this was treated as normal and positive. I really enjoyed the hint of a secondary romance with the hero’s aunt and wished we’d had more of it. I also wished there’d been more page time with the hero’s sister and her husband. The hero was a lawyer and while there were scenes of him at work the book had a huge amount about the heroine’s job and often read as all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-landscape-design. There was some suspense though the main bad guy’s identity seemed obvious. A nice blend of romance and family: both extended and found.

The 20th Century Challenge
1986 = Captivated by Carla Neggers (published May 1986):
The heroine had left her job as a private investigator in San Francisco to work as a financial analyst in Boston. She met the hero when he showed up at her office looking for her father. Their immediate attraction—and her decision to find her father to determine what exactly was going on—threw a wrench into her efforts to cultivate a more staid lifestyle. The mystery was often frustrating at the start; however, it thankfully improved in the second half. The fashion was definitely mid-eighties and the plot wouldn’t work with cell phones. But I adored the heroine and the fact the hero had no desire for her to change. They were a well-matched couple and their romance was infused with a sense of fun.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 5 down, 14 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 18 down, 1 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 9 down, 10 to go…